I am an avid reader of an amazing food blog called Annie's Eats. I have tried recipe after recipe from her blog and have never been disappointed even once. She is single-handedly responsible for the good opinions some have of my baking/cooking. I came across a recipe for black and white cookies about a week ago and instantly knew I wanted to try it out for our upcoming Labor Day camping extravaganza. Here's a link to Annie's website with the recipe for those of you who may be interested:
http://annies-eats.net/2011/08/26/black-and-white-cookies/
The preparation went pretty well and the end result, of course, is awesome. Ben and I had to try a cookie when I unfortunately ran out of white frosting. I just couldn't let that poor cookie be completely chocolate all by itself...so we ate it. And since I believe a picture is worth a thousand words, here is the process by photos:
 |
| After mixing the batter, which was rather cake like than cookie-like, I had to moisten my fingers and form them into very dimensionally specific circles. The cookies on the right are not yet formed. |
 |
| The first batch of cookies comes out of the oven perfect with golden edges and a firm center. I was off to a great start! |
 |
| Then I had a bit of an accident while mixing my glaze... |
 |
| ...a kitchen wide accident. |
I don't think I could even begin to adequately explain the stupidity it took on my part for this one. All I know is it was a darn good thing I bought a new large bag of confectioner's sugar as half of it is spread out all over my kitchen floor.
 |
Then I glazed with the white glaze...I was still covered in powdered sugar, by the way. |
 |
I finished up by glazin' with the chocolate glaze. |
Now I have to find an airtight container that will safely carry my black and whites to the weekend's festivities. Although the powdered sugar fiasco made tonight into more of an adventure than I really have time for, it was worth it to complete this project. I'm proud of myself for trying a new method of "frosting" desserts. I will definitely not make a mess this big the next time I make these cookies. However, it was all worth the sweeping and mopping to see Ben's face when he walked into the kitchen to discover me and the floor/counter/everywhere covered in powdered sugar!
Awesome cookies!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
I can just see your poor face as the powder exploded! At least it was something tasty, like cookies, and not something gross, like... I'm sure you can imagine.
ReplyDeleteHeather :)