Yesterday and today marked the first two days at my new job. After meeting with numerous people and figuring out what they want me to do, my supervisor and I crafted my job description/job title. It seems that I am a newly minted Director of Communications. This is exciting...and daunting as I will be using some skills I've been developing for years and developing some skills that I will use for years. (Good thing I'm a Hufflepuff who "likes hard work" because that's what this job will require)!
I spent yesterday and today acquiring and organizing my equipment and office supplies. I quickly remembered how long it takes to get a computer up to a good level of usability. My morning sort of went like this: "Oh, this example of a cool website is a PDF file. What?! Adobe reader isn't on this computer?!" Go download Adobe Reader. "I want to save this document to my new flash drive. Wait! What are all these random files doing on here? I have to download NET 3.0?!" Go download NET whatever they want. "Now that that's all working, can I print the school calendar so I have a list of all important dates? No, I can't because the printer isn't linked across the network." Go and fail to connect to the network printer because some random driver isn't installed even though the woman on the next computer is printing on said printer as we speak. I solved that one by emailing the file to myself. That will be an adventure for another day.
I and my computer, however, feel pretty prepared now. I even have an encouraging Hufflepuff desktop background to make me feel more at home...and more okay with my H-puff identity. I promise I won't mention being a Hufflepuff on any more posts ;-)
Well, I probably won't post anything tomorrow because tomorrow's new things are just not cool. Don't ask...I won't tell you.
No comments:
Post a Comment