This post has nothing to do with baseball. As a matter of fact, the title of this post is rather vague and perhaps a bit misleading. However, it is late, and my cleverness amuses me.
I was getting ready for band rehearsal this evening, sliding the final pieces into place just as the students started arriving when I opened my folder to grab my music scores of the pieces I planned to rehearse. When I opened the folder, however, it was empty. My mind raced as I mentally retraced my actions over the weekend, desperately trying to remember where I had last seen these most important tools in a conductor's arsenal. Then I froze; I remembered that they were snugly tucked away in the front pocket of my saxophone case...which I had decided not to lug around with me today. My scores, the road maps to the rehearsal beginning in 10 minutes, were trapped at home.
I panicked for a minute as I kicked myself in the brain. This was the first time in my six years as a band director that I had forgotten my scores for a rehearsal. I suppose I should have been glad it hadn't happened until now, but I was too busy contemplating how to adjust my rehearsal plan. After deciding to rehearse the two pieces which I did have scores for (even though they are not the one's we're playing at contest in 3 weeks), I scoured my bin for a flute, trumpet and percussion part for each of the other pieces. Luckily I had been listening to our pieces quite a bit and figured all would be well.
And you know what? It was. Everything worked out well with occasional assistance on measure numbers from a helpful front row of eager-to-please flutes and clarinets. I feel that I got what I deserved, though. If I had prepped Sunday night like I usually do, my scores would've been returned to their folder and not left behind with a rejected saxophone.
ANGELA'S CORNER OF SELF-DISCOVERY: I have really dropped off the face of the blogworld. Thankfully I have recently come across an abandoned time machine. Over the next few days I plan to go back in time to various points in the last few weeks and recount some of the adventures I've been having. Talk to you then!
Nice recovery!
ReplyDelete